Introduction:
Bitcoin is sitting on the bottom of its 83K–87K range hours before the Fed minutes drop, and the floor under it looks thinner than it did last week. We're around $84,200, which is the same spot where buyers have been getting paid less every time they show up.
Third rejection from $87,000 in about a week. That's not a coincidence, that's supply sitting there waiting for every bounce.
What actually pushed us here
This one didn't start in crypto. Oil is back above $100 Brent on the tanker attacks, the 10-year is above 5.3%, and the dollar is firm. When the risk-free rate does that, a non-yielding asset gets sold first and questioned later.
Then the leverage did the rest. Roughly $546M got wiped in 24 hours and about $480M of it was longs. Classic late-long flush: everyone stacked up under $87K expecting a breakout, and the market took the other side.
Spot ETFs didn't help either, with about $90M in net outflows after a decent inflow day. Open interest is still near $69B, so there's plenty of fuel left in the tank for a move in either direction.
Where I'm looking on the chart
We lost $85,000, then lost $84,000 as a clean support. Now price is sitting inside the demand zone from roughly $83,300 to $84,600, where a lot of coins changed hands on the way up. That's the whole trade today.
The levels I'm marking:
Resistance: $85,000 (the level we lost), then $87,000 (rejected three times)
Demand zone: 83,300–84,600
Line in the sand: $83,000
Below that: $81,100, then $80,000, with not much structure in between
Here's what bugs me. Stops are stacked right under $83,000, and the market loves going where the stops are. A quick wick through it to grab that liquidity wouldn't surprise me at all.
Why the minutes matter more than they should
The minutes are old news by definition. The meeting already happened. But the market trades the tone, and right now the tone matters a lot because yields are already stretched.
If the language leans toward inflation sticking around or openness to more tightening, yields push higher, the dollar follows, and $83K gets tested fast. If officials sound worried about growth or comfortable holding, yields breathe and bulls get a bounce.
I'm not going to pretend I know which way it reads. Volatility around 2 PM ET is guaranteed, direction isn't. I'm not trading the first candle.
If the bulls hold
Minutes come out balanced or soft, yields cool off, oil stops grinding higher. Price wicks under $83,000, sweeps the stops, and reclaims.
Trigger: 4H close back above $85,000
Targets: $86,000, then $87,000
Entry: after the sweep and reclaim, not before it
Invalidation: 4H close below $83,000
Reward vs risk: around 1:2 with a stop under $82,800
One thing in the bulls' favor: the longs just got cleared. A cleaner positioning book gives you a better squeeze than the one we had a week ago.
If the bulls fold
Hawkish tone, yields up, and $83,000 breaks with acceptance below it. That's close, not a wick.
Trigger: 4H close below $83,000
Targets: $81,100, then $80,000
Entry: short the failed retest from underneath
Invalidation: 4H close above $85,000
Reward vs risk: roughly 1:2.5 into $80K
Several desks are saying the same thing: lose $83K cleanly and $80K comes quickly. I agree, mostly because there's nothing under it to slow the move.
How I'm playing it
I'm trading smaller than normal. Books are thin after a flush like this and slippage will bite you on a news candle.
I'm waiting for the 4H close, not the wick. A spike through $83K that gets bought back is a sweep, and sweeps are where you want to be buying, not selling.
I'm also watching yields and oil more than the BTC chart itself. Right now they're leading, and Bitcoin is following.
And I'm staying away from altcoins here. In the last flush they dropped far harder than BTC, and I don't see why this one would be different.
My bias stays defensive while the price is under $85,000. Hold $83,000 on a close and the range trade back toward $86K is back on. Lose it, and I'm treating $80,000 as the target.
Disclaimer: This post is for educational and research purposes only and does not constitute financial advice. Always do your own research (DYOR).
⚡ Never miss an urgent market shift: I post daily real-time crypto setups, micro-analyses, and exclusive charts. Follow My Daily Updates Here
🚀 Duplicate CryptoVault Now: Grab your automated Notion Trading Journal here for 50% OFF with code LAUNCH26
👉 Stop trading blindly: Secure your CryptoVault on Gumroad now to master your risk analytics and protect your capital.
🎥 Bonus Creator Tools: Free Crypto Editing Assets
If you create crypto updates, TikTok reels, or YouTube Shorts based on today’s market analysis, use these editing templates:
Free CapCut Crypto Presets (Notion Library) – Download customized editing presets on Notion to style your charts & market reels.
